GIFT (Generations in Faith Together)
Research is nearly unanimous on this point: parents matter most in shaping the religious lives of their children. (Dean, Almost Christian)
The GIFT Program: Generations in Faith Together
GIFT: Generations in Faith Together is our intergenerational, family-based faith formation program. Due to the imposed limitations on our ability to gather in person, our GIFT program for the 2020-2021 school year will be offered virtually. GIFT is scheduled on Sunday at 12 noon two times each month. Each of the two sessions would be between 45 to 60 minutes long. GIFT will continue following a monthly themed approach. Learning will be divided into two parts.
For example: September’s GIFT theme is: “What is Faith Formation?” September 13th will be Part I and September 27th will be Part II of this theme.
We have designed two options: Altogether Live and OnDemand, both of which will be available to families. A brief description of how these two options will be implemented follows:
For September 13th – for What is Faith Formation Part I:
- Altogether Live: All families registered for GIFT will receive an invite to a Google Meet to be held on Sunday, September 13th at 12 noon. Families would login from home using the supplied link. The session would begin with prayer, and a brief introduction to the topic led by Sabrina. Families would be invited to mute microphones and have a timed conversation directed by supplied questions. After reconvening, Sabrina will give instructions for the assignments or activities that will be completed at home.
- Those who participated in the Altogether Live session would go to FlipGrid to access and complete the activities and assignments at home.
- Families who opt for the OnDemand sessions would receive an email alert when the content is available from the September 13th session on FlipGrid. Families would login, access content and complete activities and assignments at home.
For September 27th – for What is Faith Formation Part II:
- Altogether Live: All families registered for GIFT will receive an invite to a Google Meet to be held on Sunday, September 27th at 12 noon. Families would login from home using the supplied link. The session would begin with prayer, and a brief introduction to the topic led by Sabrina. Families would be invited to share spiritual insights, activities, and assignments with each other. Session would conclude with prayer.
- Those who participated in the Altogether Live session would go to FlipGrid to review comments and posts left by other families.
- Families who opt for the OnDemand sessions would receive an email alert when the content is available from the September 27th session on FlipGrid. Families would login, access content and share comments and posts left by other families.
Families will be asked to complete an evaluation for each month’s themed gatherings.
Sabrina will be able to assist and coach families through the activities provided if requested.
With GIFT at the center of our faith formation programming, other opportunities are available as well. Descriptions of these programs, processes and events will follow:
- ChristLife for Adults
- Bible Study for Adults
- RCIA: Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults
- High School Youth Ministry
- Middle School Youth Ministry
- Reconciliation and First Communion Preparation for 2nd to 9th Graders
- Confirmation Preparation for 9th to 12th Graders
To read more about our programs and for a complete calendar of all the meeting times and events, view the Faith Formation Registration Information packet which includes the link for registration.
Each year, we act in accordance with national mandates implemented in the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People for fingerprinting and/or background checks of all catechists and volunteers who have regular contact with young people. Also, all catechists and volunteers are required to complete an online course called, “Protecting God’s Children” before they begin their ministry and is renewed every three years.
Also, each year children will be guided through the “Empowering God’s Children Program” designed for specific age groups which provide a theme that introduces and builds on the basic concepts of the Teaching Boundaries and Safety Guide. The material is developmentally appropriate for each age group and includes content and activities that reinforce the message.
More information about these programs and materials will be made available to families in the fall.
Additional Program Info
Teaching children our Catholic Prayers and Practices are one of the ways we pass on our faith. Here is a list of Prayers & Practices for Kindergarten – High School.