FISH: Friends in Service to Him
God in heaven hear my prayer,
keep me in thy loving care.
Be my guide in all I do,
Bless all those who love me too.
F.I.S.H: Friends in Service to Him Program
Beginning on Sunday, September 24th, our FISH program will again be offered during the 10:30 am Mass for children in Kindergarten through 4th grades. Children are dismissed by the community with a blessing after the Reader introduces the catechist. Volunteer catechists lead these sessions which include prayer, an exploration of thematic topics related to the Gospel reading for the day, and a simple craft or activity designed to engage the children. They return to the Church during the Offertory Procession. After receiving a blessing from the presider, they return to their families for the Eucharistic Prayer and remainder of Mass.
Children who choose not to participate in this program are invited to follow along with Mass using the MagnifiKid! Resource which is provided each week (found on the book cart along the back wall of Church).
Parent volunteers lead FISH each week. If you are interested in finding out more about how you can help lead, please contact Sabrina.
F.I.S.H. will include basic elements from a traditional Children’s Liturgy of the Word format, but with a few changes:
- Children will be dismissed with their catechist at the same time, with the announcement that the Reader makes and the Blessing Song.
- Children will read and review scripture readings pertaining to weekly themes (instead of reading the same Gospel readings from mass), with corresponding handouts. This will change the format from one that was liturgy based to one that is more catechetical in nature.
- After the scripture reading, there will be a short project-based activity to help illustrate that week’s theme. Sample activities include: Making crayon rubs of seasonal objects for the Creation Story, decorating a shamrock to represent the Holy Trinity, writing down things we are grateful for and lacing them into “thank you” necklaces, etc. All of the supplies will be provided for you.
- Children will return to their families after the Creed and Prayers of the Faithful, but will walk in with the offertory procession and be blessed by the priest, as a welcome back into the Mass.
- Youth leaders are encouraged to sign up to help each Catechist lead the sessions. We would like to have this type of youth leadership built into the program to encourage older youth to participate in leadership opportunities within the St. Matthias Community.
All materials will be provided, we simply need your time and talent, and the help of any others who love to teach children!
Our volunteer catechists are trained in the parish and encouraged to attend workshops for their own enrichment and to earn credit towards Basic Catechetical Certification (see Sabrina for more information). Catechists for FISH are scheduled with the other liturgical ministers, on a quarterly basis. See the schedule below:2017, Oct Sept Schedule c
Each year, we act in accordance with Archdiocesan mandates for background checks of all catechists and helpers who have regular contact with children. They are required to complete a course called “Recognize, Report and Prevent Child Abuse” before they can begin their ministry. The course can be found at www.shieldthevulnerable.org